-I remember the night that I first met you...I thought "that is the sweetest guy that I have ever met."...I thought I loved you then...
-then a few weeks later when you asked me on a date. you picked me up in your old white chevrolet truck and I lied and said that I liked sushi just because I was so happy to be on a date with you...I thought I loved you then...
-then you asked me to your nuclear medicine graduation and I flipped my schedule upside down at work just so i wouldn't miss seeing you and meeting your family...I thought I loved you then...
-you invited me out to your mom's cabin. we rode on the boat. you drove and I looked at you and...I hadn't told you yet but I knew that i loved you then...
-I remember you buying that house, renovating it and asking me to come over after work to see how the floors turned out. I walked in and you led me by the hand to what would be our bedroom and had rose petals spelled out saying "will you marry me?" and you got down on one knee right there and once again, I thought I loved you then...
-I remember that day. I put on a beautiful white dress, red high heels and basically ran down the aisle. I was praying that preacher would hurry up before you changed your mind. i loved you then...
-I remember the day i took that little test. I couldn't wait for you to get home from work to show you evidence that you were about to be a Daddy! I loved you then...
-I remember that day that I watched you cradle our blonde haired baby in your arms. oh my heart. I loved you then...
-then we moved to the mid-west away from everything we have ever known. All we had was each other. we got lost. went down one way streets wrong and had to learn how to keep warm, drive in the snow and keep it from getting into our little bitty apartment...I thought I loved you then...
-you went off to train for the Navy. you were gone too long. I couldn't wait to be reunited. Then we were and my heart felt whole and I thought I loved you then...
-I took another one of those little tests and another baby was on the way. your smile was from ear to ear. I thought I loved you then...
-a few months later life hit us like a wrecking ball. Our joy turned to saddness and grief that we have never felt before. our hearts were crushed when we lost our baby boy. we cried until we broke and we did it all together. we prayed together and held on for dear life to our Lord to get us through. you held my hand in the pain. Physical pain of getting that epidural knowing that we were about to see our son way too early and he likely would not be breathing. i held your hand so tight. it hurt so bad. my body and my heart and I just squeezed your hand thanking God above for giving me you. Thanking Him that you were there and there is no way I could have made it without you!
and...
Now your my whole life and now your my whole world. I just can believe how I feel about you now. Like a river meets the sea, stronger than we've every been, we've come so far since those days. And I thought I loved you then.
I can just see your face when another baby is on the way and I can just see you when your hair is turning gray. What I can't see is how I'm ever gonna love you more...but I've said that before.
We'll look back someday, at this moment that we're in and I'll look at you and say "I thought I loved you then"
I wouldnt want to do this life with anyone else by my side, hand in hand as long as we live!








No comments:
Post a Comment