Tuesday, October 25, 2016

Kindergarten Lately: October 2016

Just here to give a little update on Kindergarten this month. I can.not believe that this month is almost over. Where in the world did October go? Well, as far as Kindergarten...it went to finishing up the dinosaur unit, learning about the octopus, water, insects and this week we are finishing up October with goats. 

This month has been full of so much information. I have been able to teach Walker how the dinosaurs fit in the Bible and how God created all things. Also, I was able to tell him how people will try to tell him that dinosaurs lived "millions of years ago" but the Bible teaches us that is not true. I love being able to address things with the truth before he goes out into the world and hears otherwise. 

We spent some time at the beach during our octopus unit...because we can always think of a reason to go to the beach! 


a picture of our board of things we are working on


We did lots of experiements during water week that my little scientist loved! We incorporated pumpkins in our experiements just because it's the season of pumpkins and we love pumpkins over here! It also was Columbus Day so we read some books and learned about Christopher Columbus, we did some boat (float and sink) experiments and of course I pulled off a Pinterest Columbus Day snack  (blue jello and oranges).






While learning about Christopher Columbus, we also talked about where we are on the map in relation to the world and also we talked about direction and how to read a compass. I figure with this little adventurer that I better teach him early a sense of direction!


This was probably our favorite unit so far! We learned how Jesus gives our spirit living water to drink. 

On the last day of our unit we read the book "The Rainbow Fish" and talked about how it's better to give than recieve. (disclaimer: I am not trying to toot our horn over here, just inform what we did and Walker's heart is to give and love on others) So on the last day of our unit we decided to give these Sesame Street Wash Up Kits through World Vision. I just had intentions of donating to the Haiti relief for clean water after Hurrican Matthew but as we were looking around, Walker found this and wanted to give toward it so I wasn't going to stop him! ***Go on and click on the link and give too! These kits are amazing...of course kids are drawn to Sesame Street but they also are teaching these children good hygiene and how to take care of their bodies and when and how to properly wash their hands to keep from spreading germs...we take all of this for granted but for these children this is a very important thing to be taught! The kit also contains games to make it fun. So there is my little tid bit on that!


It also turned a little cool here so we are able to have lunch outside some days. 


So a sweet thing here. We mailed off our request for this company to send us some ants (came with our curriculum/this ant hill) and when we started the unit our ants still were not here (on Monday) and I prayed "Please Lord let our ants get here for our insect unit." On Tuesday our ants arrived and provided lots of entertainment for my 2 guys. It really is a neat thing to watch them build tunnels and work so diligently, which was our character focus for the Insect unit. 


I am loving teaching him to read. He is doing well with blending and learning so many new words each week. We are even starting to read short sentences. It's amazing to know that of all the things that he will read in his life that I get this opportunity to start at the very beginning right beside him. 


I have been getting books on CD from the library for the car. So I just put it in, turn the noise towards the back and he follows along. I have heard that this can really fast track a beginning reader but really I just love seeing how much he enjoys it and the quiet time is a good breather for this Mama.


some extras...

Digging for worms in the dirt


We also don't have any pictures but we had to clean up our yard after Hurricane Matthew.

He also does his "reading logs" from the library every month to get his book button.  


This week we started the goat and so far it's so fun! We are talking about Jesus dying for our sins so getting to share the gospel everyday to my son is priceless. We also incorproated a few songs of worship after our bible time that is good for both of us. His favorite song is Chris Tomlin's "At the Cross"


We do school in pajamas and sometimes sitting on the table. Yeah this is my face, too. 


we have been focusing on shapes this month. Of course he already knows his basic shapes but we have added in the Octagon and the Hexagon. 


We visited the petting farm today for some hands on with the goats and other farm animals since we have the Cow and Horse coming up in our next 2 units. We had a sweet time together. 


we visited the bird aviary



played...of course.


visited the chicken coop


walked on the goats ladder.


Walker loved playing with this little goat "Raisinette." 


they dug in the dirt


then Raisinette decided he/she needed a nap...i love this kid (no pun intended)



"come here and play mister goat"


pony ridin. he wants to be a cowboy. he literally lassos everything in our house. he wants to "rope them cows." He really enjoyed riding and said that he wants lessons...we will see!


Of course he played on the tractor


sat on this really big pumpkin


and grabbed a little white pumpkin for Isaiah. I always miss him on days like today and still imagine what life would be like if he was here...it's so hard to keep my mind from going there...but I decided to pick up this little white pumpkin just for him and maybe make a tradition of doing that :)


We are having so much fun in Kindergarten. I am so thankful that I am able to do this with him. The memories are just priceless. I love you my little love-bug. 




No comments:

Post a Comment